Thursday, April 8

"what the hell am I studying for, teacher" Said Ibrahim, my chemistry class mate, as he dropped his pen in the middle of a difficult hydrocarbon test, after hearing a series of continuous US tank bombing nearby that broke our sanctuary silence.
The friendly all-time-joking guy seemed angry out of this situation; he stood up in a noticeable move, threw the test paper and continued "what's the use of studying this... who can ensure me that I'm not going to be dead before going to collage...why don't I go and fight with them?"

We all looked at him, gave him a stop-that-crap-and-get-back-to-your-exam look.

Being a part of the Iraqi youth, I started to feel the anger growing in my veins recently, especially after those events and the potential feeling of huge riots coming... I can't put this heat out unless I place my despair instead.

One year ago, I remember I was telling me friends "you will all be happy, you will be promised a lot, and you'll dream on that. you will not wake up before 4 or 5 years to find the American machine still sucking your oil and giving you more promises instead. Then, you'll revolute."
I was actually certain of what's going to happen, and I was telling myself that not until 3 years from now [referring to last year] people will not sense the importance of their nationalism; that feeling that became old now, and the one that Saddam made Iraqis believe that is defined loyalty to him and only to him.

Tomorrow will be whole year passed on the occupation and I am actually anxious to know what it's going to be like, the current GC position towards this day is that it's the National Day of Iraq, I guess Iraqis will show that they mind that.

As I remember, Tomorrow is the anniversary of the assassination of Mohammad Baqir As-Sadr, father of the current local hero Mohammad Moqtada As-Sadr, and that is not a happy event for Shi'aa at all. Moreover, Sunni Muslims will have their FIRST united Friday prayer tomorrow; this event will take place in ex-Mother of Battles Mosque (now called Mother of Villages, referring to Mecca). Other mosques will close their doors, and all Muslims were invited to that mosque, with their weapons if needed. [WHAT?]

For the last couple of days, situation has so much changed than before; streets now are empty, schools and universities are closed, the city is dying again, just like the old times during the war. And for the last couple of nights, bombing was heavy, one could hear shooting all the night everywhere with several BIG explosions every night. I started to see resistance in streets, I always said that those random attacks are not organized enough to be called as "resistance". Well, now I take it back; it actually began to be organized and have more courage, frankly, these people started to make confrontations with US troops that last for like 10-30 minutes. Making serious losses in the US side, it's not getting surprising now to see a wounded soldier, or a burned tank.…
In the other hand, civilian Iraqis are also participating with this in a way or another; food rations and money donations are being collected daily and sent to the surrounded Falluja. Wait for this, Demonstrations in Karbala encouraging Falluja people, Husaniyyas [Shi'aa mosques] giving speeches to support their Sunni brothers!!!
This political/militarily uprising was the spark that set this fire on, not an Iraqi/Iraqi fire like in a civil war as many analyzed, but a fire to unite Iraqis, teach them what is to be occupied, and how to react towards it.

After all this incredible intensity of continuous events, I go down the street in Karrada, and find couple of US soldiers buying food from a local Iraqi mini market. That seems so ironic to me so I ask the folks a permission to take a picture for them, and the officer agrees with a condition,"You make me look sexy in that photo, kid."

No comments: