Sunday, April 5

Six Years Since the Fall of Baghdad...

Oh Baghdad, what have they done to you?
seas and deserts took us far apart,
but do not worry, Dear, I will be back to you,
Don't you see that I left you with my heart?

It was a solemn morning and I’d been preparing myself for the last two days not to cry. You won’t cry, I kept saying, because you’re coming back. You won’t cry because it’s just a little trip like the ones you used to take to Mosul or Basrah before the war. In spite of my assurances to myself of a safe and happy return, I spent several hours before leaving with a huge lump lodged firmly in my throat. My eyes burned and my nose ran in spite of me. I told myself it was an allergy.
- Riverbend
I wish now that we had cried, to let our tears mix with the soil that we was leaving toward an unknown future.